Re: Signalling in Victoria

Wayne Bastin wrote:

> 'W' was reserved as the prefix for signals on the Williamstown line and 'X'
> for
> the Nyora line.

Possible but then U is reserved for Mangalore to Tocumwal and V is for Ararat to
Portland so I doubt that reason. And there is an up repeater at Seymour off the
Shepparton line which is numbered U3408 and the adjacent signal is E3408. As
neither signal is worked by a lever this then is a prefix adopted for the line
code as shown in a 1952 publication of the VR. I wonder whether W was not used
because it is in fact UU.

David Langley