Re: Signalling in Victoria

>Without actually quoting from the rules I think that you are both sort of
right
>because as I have posted elsewhere the rule says that you must not increase
your
>speed until the next signal but the GA (or Operating Procedures or whatever
they
>are called this afternoon) gives exceptions to the rule and the exceptions
are
>generally dwarf signals that lead onto a line where the next signal is a
long
>way off, or does not exist at all. An example of that is the dwarf leading
from
>the yard at Dimboola to the Yaapeet line. There is no next signal only
baulks at
>Yaapeet.
>
>DEL.

Hope this post gets thru....[having an argument with Big Pond, and they have
a little more muscle than me]

You have to be very careful when quoting from V/Line Rules and Regulations,
Appendix or any other publication for that matter.
During the early '70s I was asked to upgrade a 'new' Appendix and Addenda.
Also a set of working timetables,,,,,,,I went to Old Head Office with about
7 brand new books fresh from the Printer in North Melbourne and spent 3
weeks with scissors and clag pot inserting amendments to all books.
Now the GA was bound and approx 3/4" thick, after I finished it was
impossible to get the covers within 6 ".
Weekly notices were the prime source of amendments, but many special pages
were printed to upgrade these very important books.
When Gerald Dee saw my work, he told me that he thought his own, books were
completely up to date, because he religiously inserted each amendment as it
arrived! He doubted that my efforts had  been really successful because I
could not guarantee each amendment had been made available to me.
Some six months later a new set of Safe working books and timetables were
issued, incorporating all the above mentioned amendments, plus another stack
of corrections and new amendments already found to correct the new manuals.
I never again worried about keeping these books up to date, instead rel;ying
on local knowledge and good bosses to keep me on the straight and narrow!!
So unless you are working full time in the system, you cannot claim to be an
expert, and even if you do opperate the system every day, how can you claim
knowledge in those systems, you dont operate under regularly??
Rod  :o)