Re: Signalling in Victoria

Rufus wrote:

> Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote in message
> <7fc70e$3d3$2@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>...
> >Clear Low Speed: Dwarf Signals (3 position area)
> >When Clear low speed is displayed (green light, on a dwarf signal) the
> >signal indicates the following:
> >1) The points are set for the movement
> >2) The line is clear to the next signal
> >3) The next signal is at 'proceed' (ie, not 'stop')
> >4) the speed of the train must not exceed 15 km/h
> >(the speed restriction for low and medium speed apply to the whole section
> >up to the next signal.)
> >
> >So no the train can not speed up once over the points, it must not exceed
> >15 km/h until the next signal.
>
> This is garbage, so on departing Somerton from No4 track I must remain at 15
> kph till the next Auto??
> Well mate both Dynon and Wodonga drivers better watch out, because we all
> pick up speed when the 'van' clears the points.Departing the ballast siding
> at Glenrowan would have been a problem, the auto was near Wangaratta.
> Nowadays we have tripmeters which we set for the length of our train, if we
> can be bothered, and pick up speed when they expire.
> Rod ;o)

Without actually quoting from the rules I think that you are both sort of right
because as I have posted elsewhere the rule says that you must not increase your
speed until the next signal but the GA (or Operating Procedures or whatever they
are called this afternoon) gives exceptions to the rule and the exceptions are
generally dwarf signals that lead onto a line where the next signal is a long
way off, or does not exist at all. An example of that is the dwarf leading from
the yard at Dimboola to the Yaapeet line. There is no next signal only baulks at
Yaapeet.

DEL.