Re: Signalling in Victoria

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> Like Ringwood, the centre line wasn't used that much, until Bayswater opened
> as a place to fix trains, then there were many (until the removed it)
>
> I would say at Clifton Hill the centre line would be used for trains returning
> from Epping to town empty.
>
> : In my youth I spent many hours in Oakleigh B Box, over a period of many years
> : - early sixties era.  I hardly ever saw the centre road used.  Non-stop down
> : trains ran thru #1 road, and up trains generally thru #3 road.        I did manage
> : to have a returning fan trip routed via #4 road (the back platform) once as
> : the light had deterioriated and I needed the train slowed.

> : John Dennis
> :

The centre road at Clifton Hill was regularly used for up suburban goods trains from
Eltham, Heidelberg, Fairfield, Bell and Thomastown. Goods trains from the Whittlesea
line ran via North Fitzroy.

The centre road at Ringwood was regularly used around 30 years ago for the stabling of
train between runs - i.e. trains that went "out" for say 30 minutes. Prior to the
provision of 3 pos signalling at Ringwood, the centre road was a proper running road
without catch points and had arms not discs into and out of at both ends.

The centre road at Oakleigh might of had less use but I have observed eastern goods
trains going through it on the up. The old Oakleigh layout was not very straight so it
wasn't of much use for high speed running.

At Essendon many down country trains ran via the centre road, it too was properly
signalled.

At Mordialloc non-stopping trains on the down used the centre road, I have personally
given the distant to a down Frankston school special and to an up empty cars
simultaneously. The drivers acknowledged this with an appreciative toot of the whistle
and made full use of the unchecked run.

I would suggest that all the centre roads were provided for very good reasons but became
little used in later years and were removed. Unfortunately the one at Mordialloc, which
is still there, is not used because there is no-one to switch in the panel.

David.