Re: Signalling in Victoria

Like Ringwood, the centre line wasn't used that much, until Bayswater opened
as a place to fix trains, then there were many (until the removed it)

I would say at Clifton Hill the centre line would be used for trains returning
from Epping to town empty.

jdennis@acslink.net.au wrote:

: >> I cant remember if the centre road at Clifton Hill is a through road. They
: could
: >> be home signals or dwafs. You would have to check the signaling diagram. It
: has
: >> been a long time since I was driving down that way.
: >
: > It's a running road. Probably not used much any more but in the days of the
: mechanical
: > signal boxes, any train not stopping at Clifton Hill (goods trains, school
: specials,
: > empty cars, etc.) usually went through the middle road. As they likewise did
: through
: > Oakleigh, Mordialloc and Essendon.

: In my youth I spent many hours in Oakleigh B Box, over a period of many years
: - early sixties era.  I hardly ever saw the centre road used.  Non-stop down
: trains ran thru #1 road, and up trains generally thru #3 road.	I did manage
: to have a returning fan trip routed via #4 road (the back platform) once as
: the light had deterioriated and I needed the train slowed :-)

: Further to this discussion, in the late 60s I used to regularly catch a train
: (6:03pm IIRC) which ran express Richmond-Carnegie.  It ran express through
: Caulfield on the normal up platform, and crossed to the down line under the
: control of a dwarf showing (from memory) "clear low speed".

: JD
: --

: John Dennis
: Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway