Re: Comments/corrections - VR map

John Cleverdon <johnc@cdi.com.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>Frank Jones wrote:
>
>> At 02:52 13/04/99 EDT, MarkBau1 wrote:
>> >Please bear in mind that this map is still in the production stage
>> >
>> >I urge you to send me any errors/corrections or comments.
>> >

>> <snip>
>
>> 6. There is a 'Murie' just before Walhalla - it doesn't have a 'dot'
>> and doesn't show in my 1927 Grades book (although it might have
>> existed before then).
>
>I don't know of any station called "Murie" ever being in that area,
>although Walhalla Goldfields Railway now have the Happy Creek station in
>that area.

The Late Edward Downs in "Speed Limit 20" (page 111) refers to a
passenger halt called "Murie". According to the book, it was adjacent
to the Long Tunnel Company's siding. When Long Tunnel Co. ceased
trading after WW1 broke out, Murie and presumably the Long Tunnel
Co.'s siding, was renamed "Knott's Siding in 1915.

I think you should have a "Knott's Siding" in your Gradients Book. I'm
fortunate enough to have a 1921 rail map (knicked from Plat 1, Spencer
Street in 1968. It was underneath a 1926 map, which was underneath a
1938 map, which was underneath a 1952 map which was underneath a 1965
map. We left the 1965 map there). "Knotts S" is marked there, no dot -
just a bar across the line, at the 100 + 1/4 mile mark. Not many other
places on the map had just a bar. Those mining sidings at Langi Logan
had them also.

Les Brown