Comments/corrections - VR map

At 02:52 13/04/99 EDT, MarkBau1 wrote:
>Please bear in mind that this map is still in the production stage
>
>I urge you to send me any errors/corrections or comments.

Thanks for your map - Great work! Some errors and a few thoughts;

1. Spelling
(a) Yungara - should be Yungera
(b) Leichart (Eaglehawk - Inglewood) -> Leichardt
(c) Kawarran (Colac - Beech Forest) -> Kawarren
(d) Ditchely (Colac - Beech Forest) -> Ditchley
(d) Warncourt (Birregurra - Colac) -> Warncoort

2. On the Cohuna line, Warragamba should be Diggora West (Warragamba
was renamed in the 60s or early 70s). At the location of Diggora West
should appear McColl.

3. There was a station between Meredith and Lethbridge called Medina.
My VR grades show it at the 66 mile post; it later became a RMSP.

4. Riddell is now called Riddell's Creek.

5. Tatyoon is both a siding and a SG loop (a la Berrybank).

6. There is a 'Murie' just before Walhalla - it doesn't have a 'dot'
and doesn't show in my 1927 Grades book (although it might have
existed before then).

7. There was a Cheetham's Siding just out of South Geelong on the
Queenscliff line, also Lakers Siding just before Queenscliff. Do these
come under the scope of your map? (I guess there were lots more
sidings like these not necessarily at stations which would clutter up
the map considerably).

8. Intermediate stations on the Lancefield - Kilmore section were
(from Lancefield): Mount William, Goldie, Springfield, High Park and
Forbes. [Homer Simpson, where are you?] :-)

9. I thought Cobram was still open although some readers may be able
to correct me on this.

10. There was a racecourse siding/platform just out of Terang on the
Mortlake line (shown in 1927 grades book). There is also Geelong
Racecourse (loop siding and platform still in use) and Werribee
Racecourse (platform still there but possibly out of use); also
Ballarat & Bendigo had racecourse sidings.

11. Cardigan (on the Ballarat inset map) was on the Skipton line about
1.5 miles past the junction, before Kopke - not on the Ballarat Cattle
Yards line.

12. Hearnes Oak (Moe - Morwell) is spelt correctly according to the
1927 grades book but recent grade diagrams and the Network Service
Plan refer to Herne's Oak (Loop). Is the present day loop spelt
differently or is this an error that has been perpetuated?

13. Healesville, Warburton & Gembrook are not shown (although perhaps
you intended these to be part of a suburban section).

Some thoughts:

- Perhaps show some of the racecourse lines e.g. Geelong, Burrumbeet,
Bungaree - also State Mine Wonthaggi - although these might be too
small to show on such a map.

- How far back would you go? There would probably be stations which
existed at some stage, say, before the 1927 grades book but were
closed. An example that springs to mind is Scarborough (Queenscliff
line, between Leopold - Curlewis).

- You've mentioned the longest straight. The longest level track is
around Tooradin - Dalmore. This could get out of hand though - where
does one stop? (longest bridge, deepest cutting etc. etc.)

I'd be interested to know how you did the map - Corel Draw?

Regards,
Frank Jones.