Re: Comments/corrections - VR map

Frank Jones wrote:

> At 02:52 13/04/99 EDT, MarkBau1 wrote:
> >Please bear in mind that this map is still in the production stage
> >
> >I urge you to send me any errors/corrections or comments.
> >

> <snip>

> 6. There is a 'Murie' just before Walhalla - it doesn't have a 'dot'
> and doesn't show in my 1927 Grades book (although it might have
> existed before then).

I don't know of any station called "Murie" ever being in that area,
although Walhalla Goldfields Railway now have the Happy Creek station in
that area.

> <snip>
>
> 9. I thought Cobram was still open although some readers may be able
> to correct me on this.

AFAIK, this is closed, or at least disused.

> 10. There was a racecourse siding/platform just out of Terang on the
> Mortlake line (shown in 1927 grades book). There is also Geelong
> Racecourse (loop siding and platform still in use) and Werribee
> Racecourse (platform still there but possibly out of use); also
> Ballarat & Bendigo had racecourse sidings.

Also left out is the HMAS Cereberus branch at Crib Point (actually a
triangle).

> 12. Hearnes Oak (Moe - Morwell) is spelt correctly according to the
> 1927 grades book but recent grade diagrams and the Network Service
> Plan refer to Herne's Oak (Loop). Is the present day loop spelt
> differently or is this an error that has been perpetuated?

AFAIK, the line actually ran Moe - Yallourn - Hernes Oak as a loop, there
were not two *seperate* branches.

> Some thoughts:
>
> - How far back would you go? There would probably be stations which
> existed at some stage, say, before the 1927 grades book but were
> closed. An example that springs to mind is Scarborough (Queenscliff
> line, between Leopold - Curlewis).

Another station left out is Narambi Road (although it may have been a RMSP
only) on the Mornington line, btwn Tanti Park and Mornington. There is
also Morradoo (sp?), former RMSP16, btwn Bittern and Crib Point.

Also, the Welshpool - Port Welshpool line was a horse tramway IIRC.

Finally, the Robinvale - Koorakee line was planned to go as far as Lette;
the current ARHS Bulletin has an article on it.

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Amateur astronomer & Railway enthusiast | Essendon - 1999 AFL premiers