Re: Preston station torched

Had a proper look at Bell whilst shopping on Saturday. The booking hall was
boarded up (meaning of course no-one could buy tickets or validate - a pain
if you were going to the city!) and the scorch marks extended along the roof
about a third of the way along the waiting room - can't be too bad as it was
still being used. They extended across the signal box the other way, from
the back it seemed to go as far as the end of the box. Don't know what it's
like inside but suspect it may be repairable as the ceiling seemed to catch
the worst of it, the pointed roof didn't appear to be too bad from the
outside. Unless it is used regularly by staff, the simplest solution would
be to replace the burnt weatherboards, put in a basic ceiling to replace the
burnt one and reopen it. Given the pigsty conditions of the interior of
other stations (eg Westgarth), Bell probably wouldn't be too bad (in
comparison!) if this was all that was done.

Still smelt of smoke on Saturday too.

Seems a shame, it appeared to only recently be painted and was in good
condition pre-fire.

Was going to ask my Hillside (Clifton Hill group) friends about it at their
wedding on Sunday but didn't get much opportunity and they are away for at
least a week on their honeymoon. Will see if I can get any goss when they
get back.