Re: Preston station torched

MarkBau1 wrote:

> Not EVERY station had an SM, lots of little station came under the control of
> another station.

I was a little boy in those days. What I remember is that every station
had staff in uniform who sold tickets, opened and closed the gates,
checked tickets and waved flags. My apologies if some of them were not
station masters. I never knew the terminology, I just saw them at work.
I presume almost all of them have long been made redundant.

They had ticket inspectors on the trains in those days, too. A friend
and I once wagged school, bought a return ticket from Box Hill to Surrey
Hills and rode into Flinders Street and back. Two of the gestapo got on
at Richmond on our way home and reported us to our school and parents,
the bastards.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand

"Oh my god, they’ve killed Kenny! Bastards!"