Re: Preston station torched

markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote in aus.rail:

><<<<<<<<They had ticket inspectors on the trains in those days, too. A friend
>and I once wagged school, bought a return ticket from Box Hill to Surrey
>Hills and rode into Flinders Street and back. Two of the gestapo got on
>at Richmond on our way home and reported us to our school and parents,
>the bastards.>>>>>>>
>
>The bastards indeed! My only run in with them was at Newport workshops, the
>year was 1977 I think. They put us in their car and drove us to Newport
>station, and yes, they called my mum and dad too. When I got home they asked me
>what I was doing, to which I aswered, "just photographing trains"
>
>Mark.

You too Mark?

I first went through Newport W/S on a Sunday. Date? I dunno exactly
(Hint: N410 was there after having run a fan special the previous
day). I was caught, asked what I was doing there, taking piccys I
said, and marched off the premises. Now that happened about three
times to 1967. I also learnt that if you wag school and go to the W/S
you could roam around unmolested all day as I did on quite a few
occasions. I got to ride on various E-class shunters and my favourite,
No. 4 Steam Crane.

I never did finish that year in high school, 1966. I had to do matric
at night. It was fun spending a day at Newport, but I would not
recommend it. I caused my mother a lot of anguish as a result, may she
rest in peace.

Les Brown