Re: Locos in parks

'Twas a dark and stormy night on Mon, 28 Sep 1998 20:39:43 +1000 as "Barry
Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> took time out from the neverending quest to
rid the world of grues and wrote:

> More than that Bill. I was born in 1951 and got interested in trains in
> about 1959. Steam locos all looked the same and were not to be seen on many
> trains anyway. Diesels came in different types and were what trains were
> about. I couldn't care less about steam as it has hardly ever been part of
> my railway experience. This must be even more pronounced for people younger
> than me.

Quite the opposite I think.

Younger people who never saw steam in daily operation would tend to find them
more interesting than diesel, which can be seen on a daily basis.

Then there are the older people who like a bit of nostalgia.  They miss the
simple times when you could leave your house open and go for a walk in total
safety.

As an example, my 80 year old father recently did a trip to Adelaide.  The
highlight of his trip was a ride on the Glenelg tram.  It brought back a lot of
memories of riding Sydney trams.  He isn't at all interested in riding the new
Sydney light rail.

Catchya

   http://www.ozemail.com.au/~kingpin1