New Tranz Rail Freight Terminal opened by Prime Minister

Reproduced from the Christchurch Press without permission:-

Freight centre 'shows recovery'

by Seth Robson

A $27 million Tranz Rail freight-loading centre is evidence that Canterbury
is leading an export recovery, says Prime Minister Jenny Shipley.

Prime Minister Jenny Shipley is reflected on the flanks of a railway wagon
after she opened Tranz Rail's new undercover loading area.

The Christchurch centre, including a 6.5ha freight loading area and a shed
the size of three rugby fields, was opened by Mrs Shipley yesterday.

It was a case of deja vu for the Prime Minister, who turned the first sod
at the 21,000sq m yard 15 months ago when she was Minister of Transport.

"Canterbury is leading a recovery even though it is a difficult
international and economic environment. This is good for Canterbury and the
South Island and a good sign of the confidence this company has in our
country," Mrs Shipley said.

Although Tranz Rail had made a profit of $270m, it had decided to invest
more than $500m in rolling stock and on projects like the new centre.

"I think the fact that they decided to make this investment is a huge vote
of confidence in both the manufacturing and agricultural sector in
Canterbury," Mrs Shipley said.

An Australian Tasrail engine on display at the centre was evidence of how
beneficial free-trade agreements like CER were to New Zealand, she said.
The engine had been refurbished by Tranz Rail, which was able to compete
for the job with Australian companies.

Ms Shipley said the problems with the world economy would not deter trade
liberalisation. All the other alternatives had been much more dramatic
failures, she said. "A fortress world would be a devastating blow for New
Zealand because we produce far more than we consume."

The new facility, a redevelopment of Tranz Rail's Middleton rail
marshalling yard, is the largest freight transport centre in the South
Island.