Re: Flags for Trains (was Alternatively powered train

David McLoughlin <davemcl@REMOVEiprolink.co.nz> wrote:

>Roy Wilke wrote:
>>
>Indeed I now see my book has two photos of Qld Railways steam trains
>crossing roads in Brisbane preceded by a signalman. One is crossing
>Ipswich Road at Woolloongabba (with an FM tram inbound from Salisbury
>[Route 71 ]  passing by); the other has a train crossing Main Street at
>the Fiveways parallel with Stanley Street, with a trolleybus on Route 24
>(Prospect tce) in the background waiting to turn into Main Street bound
>for the Story Bridge.

>The book, if anyone is interested, is "Brisbane Tramways - The Last
>Decade" by Howard R Clark & David R Keenan, Transit Press, Sydney, 1977
>which means it's probably out of print.

Until it was replaced by a new station in about 1974 or 1975, trains
leaving and arriving at San Francisco's 3rd and Townsend St. station
were protected by flagmen as they crossed 4th St. at the end of the
platforms.  When long trains would block 4th St., the flagmen would
chain it off and go down to 5th St. and flag it.

Mike Tisdale