Re: NRC <> Brisbane to Sydney safeworking.

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 20:23:00 +1100, "David Proctor"
<daproc.spambait@umpires.com> wrote:

>Richard Wardle wrote in message ...
>
>>I can see that you were never an engineman ( I was for over 14 years). From
>>my experience I personally would prefer the crew to have some electrical
>>means of safety, I.e. C.T.C signalling or a physical staff then a piece of
>>paper issued to you hoping that everything goes according to the plan and
>>that the train controller or enginemen don't make a fatal error.
>

>So how about a computerised system of train orders, so that the computer
>will not allow an invalid order to be issued? I can see some problems with
>this (in other peoples minds, anyway):
>
>1. What if the computer stuffs up?
>
>A. What if the interlocking at Broadmeadow allows an opposing movment into
>the same section? We trust the system at the moment, why not expand on it to
>provide train orders?
>
>2. What if the order is misinterpreted?
>
>A. What if a signal indication is misinterpreted? I know, how hard is it to
>misinterpret a red light, but we see it on the roads every day, and to a
>lesser extent on the railways. It DOES happen.
>
>3. What if their is a communications breakdown, and the order cannot be
>transmitted?
>
>A. Same problem applies with CTC at the moment.
>
>There is nothing wrong with train orders - just that the method of delivery
>needs to be adjusted to the 21st Century - there is no reason we cannot have
>a train controller inputting the instructions into a computer, the computer
>then checking it for errors and, if proven to be valid, transmitting the
>order to a printer in the loco cab (the driver then has a hard copy of the
>order).

This happen already in Victoria. It is called Section Authority
working. The train control graph is electronic; it will not allow
"cornfield meets". The train controller issues an electronic authority
via secure radio is the following format:-

"15/11/98 2300 NR3 9799
Proceed Hesse B.P. to Wingeel
Cross message - Key Loop
NR3 Wingeel 9799".

This gives you a date and time of issue, an authority for movement,
instructions for a cross and confirmation of vital details.

After acknowledging this electronically, it scrolls to the top screen
and becomes active. The cross message is then sent automatically:-

"Cross 9798 - CLP99
Cross 8796 - NR 41".

This tells you what train you are to cross and the lead loco number.

Approaching the loop you run onto a track circuit 3kms out and, if no
other train is on the circuit AND the points are detected normal at
both ends the home arrival signalfor the main clears.
On arrival at the home signal at the facing points you stop. Insert a
special key into a keylock that puts the main line signal back to red,
motors the points and then clears the signal for the loop.

 After the train has pulled in clear on the loop the points return to
normal automatically and a "Wingeel loop Up end clear" message is
broadcast on the local radio. If your brake pipe pressure at therear
of the train show a "fluctuating consistancy" you relinquish your
authority and wait for your cross/es.

When it is time to move on you will receive a Wingeel to Werneth B.P.
authority, key out of the loop (watch the pointindicator) and proceed
on your way.

Does this help or confuse??

Cheers

Krel