Re: NRC <> Brisbane to Sydney safeworking.

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998 07:22:33 GMT, telljb@ozemail.com.au (< Tell >)
wrote:

>Considering the problems on this corridor, and I use a
>term from rail enthusiast magazines, that "delightful"
>staff and ticket working.
>
>Why not introduce Train Orders in the interim.?

NSW train orders are different to Vic train orders are different to
SA/NT train orders. NSW train orders are very close to Vic ASW
(Section Authority Working) in electronic/manual mode.

FWIW Track warrant control seems a good compromise but I'm sure it
won't get a guernsey (or jersey!) for at a while yet.

>At least Train Orders will allow the train to enter the
>crossing point with the instruction to either, "take
>the main line" or "take the crossing loop".  When the
>opposing train arrives they pick up a new order and
>move on.

ASW does this. That is why we end up with the first train to arrive
"keying Main" and the second arrival has to key loop and then key out
of the loop holding up the first. There is a price to pay for less
flexibility.

>Still we could not allow this, it might reduce the 22
>safe working systems that NRC encounter across Oz.
>Then of course we have the signals along this
>antiquated line which indicate different things than
>all the other signals down south.!

To try to clear things up the following are signal indication AIUI.

two light signals ( 3 position in Vic speak)(double light, colour
light in NSW speak).

R/R stop in all states.
R/Y Medium speed warning in Vic (40km/h) & SA (35km/h). Irregular
indication in NSW.
R/G Clear Medium Speed in Vic (40km/h) & SA (35km/h). Irregular
indication in NSW.
Y/R normal speed warning in Vic & SA. Medium Caution in NSW (proceed
through turnout, next sig at stop)
Y/Y irregular indication in Vic & SA. Medium Turnout in NSW.
Y/G reduce to medium speed Vic (40km/h) & SA (35km/h). Irregular
indication in NSW.
G/R Clear normal speed in Vic & SA. Caution in NSW.
G/Y Clear aspect on a repeating signal in Vic. Medium speed in NSW
(next sig at caution, sig within braking distance at stop).
G/G Irregular aspect in Vic & SA. Clear in NSW.

Single light signals (2 position in vic speak)

Red stop in all states !!!!!!!
Yellow is caution but in Vic single yellow only used in distant
signals.
Green is clear but in Vic next signal MAY BE AT STOP!!!

I won't go into subsidiary signals (we could be here all day).

In some states flashing signals are used and in some pulsating are
also in use. The meaning seems to vary from state to state.

The main problem is that everyone - Signal engineers, Drivers,
Railfans, etc seems to think that "their" states system is best.

Maybe train oreders are best -no signals!! But then again there are
many variations on point indicators!!!!!!

Cheers

Krel
All's well that ends.