Re: Ticketing (1970's) and Signalling

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> I am about to finish my signalling page and the ticketing
> page but need a little more information:
>
> On March 1 1976 the New Flinders St 'E' box was opened,
> starting the remote control of metropolitan signalling
> system.  But in 1964 (Nov 8) the new Camberwell puch button
> box was opened.  Which did realy start the remote control of
> surban signalling?

Don't know but Newport controlled Altona junc from 1967, Newport South
controlled Rock Loop until it was replaced by double line in 1967 (not
quite suburban then) I think this started in 1930s (Definitely not
suburban) This was preceded by Maldon Junc which was controlled by
Castlemaine A Box, Upper Ferntree Gully remotely controlled Upwey and
Belgrave from about 63 or 64, Kensington remotely controlled Newmarket
from the late sixties. Both Flinders st E and Camberwell boxes only
replaced existing mechanical in E boxes case and with Camberwell it
replaced a Electro-Mechanical frames

> Sep 13 1980 control of surban trains from Metrol.

I don't think Metrol did  control any signaling in 1980 other than may
have been able to remotely control  Spencer st no 2  as in Sep 1980
Flinders street A box (some what decreased in size from it's 240 or so
mechanical levers it had a couple of years before), B and C boxes that
still had large mechanical frames incidentally C box had alterations to
it's mechanical frame to add a few more mechanical levers in, around the
same time as this C Boxes mechanical frame was finally abolished about
June 82 then Metrol took over the signaling duties some time in 1983.

> What areas
> did they control then and what has been added (part from the
> city loop in 1981)?
>
> 12 Feb 1977 new '2' Box at Spencer Street opens. (Stage two
> of METROL).  Where was(is) this box?
>
> Free surban travel on Sundays in Dec and Jan (81-82).  What
> for?
>
> Introduction of automatic ticket machines at St. Kilda and
> Heidelberg (March 21 1977).  What were these machines, and
> what were the ones at Museum?
> How long did they last (in operation) and where there any
> more stations to get them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Chris Gordon