Re: Ticketing (1970's) and Signalling

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote in message
<72ga7i$9vt$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>...
>I am about to finish my signalling page and the ticketing
>page but need a little more information:
>
>On March 1 1976 the New Flinders St 'E' box was opened,
>starting the remote control of metropolitan signalling
>system.  But in 1964 (Nov 8) the new Camberwell puch button
>box was opened.  Which did realy start the remote control of
>suburban signalling?

Flinders Street "E" signal box was commissioned on 28-2-1976, replacing the
former "E" box, which was opened with a 100 lever frame on 6-10-1901.  That
frame was later extended to 116 levers and then was replaced by a 65 lever
frame on 31-5-1919, when three position signalling was provided between "B",
"C" and "E" boxes and East Richmond and Richmond "A" was abolished.

Remote control of signalling in the suburban area can be traced back at
least as far as 7-8-1927 when three position signalling was provided between
South Kensington and Footscray "A" and South Kensington was given an eight
lever frame to remotely control Maribyrnong River Junction, and the signal
box there was abolished.

>Sep 13 1980 control of surban trains from Metrol.  What areas
>did they control then and what has been added (part from the
>city loop in 1981)?

Control of Flinders Street "A", "B", "C", "D", "E", Spencer Street No. 2
(also known as Viaduct Junction), Victoria Park  and Graham signal boxes was
transferred the the Clifton Hill, Burnley, Northern, Caulfield and
Sandringham panels at Metrol on 1-1-1984. The signal control panel at "C"
box was moved into "B" box on 4-7-1982 as the signal box had to be removed
to build the connection to the northern loop, but the panel was still known
as "C" box. Control of Franklin Street signal box was transferred to metrol
on 18-10-1986, Clifton Hill "A" and "B" on 11-5-1992 and North Melbourne and
South Kensington in 1994.

>12 Feb 1977 new '2' Box at Spencer Street opens. (Stage two
>of METROL).  Where was(is) this box?

Spencer Street No. 2 was opened on 28-10-1978 replacing the frame and signal
control panel in the former Viaduct Junction signal box. It had an early
type of entrance/exit panel and is located at the down end of platforms
13&14, at the top of the brown building there.