Re: 37 Car Ghan to leave Adelaide, November 16.

CL Burton <"clburton@camtech.com.au"@camtech.net.au>
wrote:

>If you look on page 44 of the ARHS(SA) publication "600", you will see a
>photo of "No. 604(Steam SAR Pacific)hauls what is believed to be
>Australia's longest passenger train- 43 carriages returning from
>Victoria on 7th March,1954, after the Royal Tour". This was 43 carriages
>not carriages and flatcars!
>IP and Ghan eat your hearts out.

It might have been back then, it was an exception.

Motorail has been a part of passenger trains on
the CR/ANR/AN for a very long time, we were talking
length.!

For your information there is a photo of CL's 8 and 2
hauling a 43 carriage Indian Pacific (no motorail) on
the 29/12/1974 in the book South Australian Diesel
Pictorial by Doug Colquoun.

Cheers

----Terry Burton