Re: Ringwood Signalbox (Vic.)

leMon, 09 Nov 1998 19:06:16 +1100,  ecrivait:

>Dear all,
>
>Following the official opening of Boronia Station today, a number of
>representatives from P.T.C./Hillside Trains visited Ringwood Station
in
>account of signalling upgrading project.  This project will commence
in
>January 1999 and the new signalbox will be located on up end of the
down
>platform (Platform 2).

Ah, Ringwood.

Not having been there for some 24 years can anyone tell me whether the
fixed distant signals still exist in the 'Up' directions on the
Lillydale and Belgrave lineson the eastern approaches to Ringwood?

Some recollections which come to mind:

-The interest in seeing a 'B' on the Lilydale Goods in the 60's and
early 70's.

-K188 in the back road between the Goods Shed and the Signal Box, en
route to the depot at Lilydale (early 60's).

-The 2 occasions an L missed the points on the 'Up" side of the
station and ventured into space over Wantirna Road (1961 or 2, and
1968 or 9).
A neighbour of ours in East Ringwood was driving the loco in the
earlier event. On the latter occasion a parcel van and T413 (brand
new) attempted to pull the 'L' back onto the line via cable. With one
and a half axles in the air this was utterly unsuccessful.

-When D3 666 (the devil's loco!!!) arrived it was prepared by expert
council welders in the briquette siding. Stuff which they reasoned
would be stolen was offered to innocent onlookers such as my humble
self (marker light etc).

Cheers

Brian