Re: Ringwood Signalbox (Vic.)

: Ah, Ringwood.

: Not having been there for some 24 years can anyone tell me whether the
: fixed distant signals still exist in the 'Up' directions on the
: Lillydale and Belgrave lineson the eastern approaches to Ringwood?

No, after the duplication to either Bayswater or Croydon (which ever was second)
the signals were replaced with searchlight signals still controled with the
levers.  There are only two wire pull signals still there, the rest are
electric.  There have mostly points controled with rods etc, but some motorised
ones.

Behind the station there is only one back road, the other one and goods area is
now a car park.

: Some recollections which come to mind:

: -The interest in seeing a 'B' on the Lilydale Goods in the 60's and
: early 70's.

: -K188 in the back road between the Goods Shed and the Signal Box, en
: route to the depot at Lilydale (early 60's).

I think that the goods to Lilydale stopped about 198? ?

: -The 2 occasions an L missed the points on the 'Up" side of the
: station and ventured into space over Wantirna Road (1961 or 2, and
: 1968 or 9).
: A neighbour of ours in East Ringwood was driving the loco in the
: earlier event. On the latter occasion a parcel van and T413 (brand
: new) attempted to pull the 'L' back onto the line via cable. With one
: and a half axles in the air this was utterly unsuccessful.

: -When D3 666 (the devil's loco!!!) arrived it was prepared by expert
: council welders in the briquette siding. Stuff which they reasoned
: would be stolen was offered to innocent onlookers such as my humble
: self (marker light etc).

: Cheers

: Brian

--