Re: Sydney's Railway Tunnels

Bill Bolton wrote:

> I found another reference tonight, in an article in the August 1989
> ARHS Bulletin about the tunnels in the St James area, which makes a
> reference to "tunnels" at North Sydney heading towards Mosman.
>
> Has anyone had a chance to actually look in the tunnel off track 3 yet
> to see if there is or isn't a stub off it?

I went and had a look last night.

The track from Platform 4 goes straight through one double track tunnel.
The track from Platform 3 goes straight through the same double track tunnel.
The track from Platform 2 has a bend in it where a set of points could go, with
the track going straight through the other double track tunnel, and the other
part of the fork without track goes to a single track tunnel which goes up and
over the top of the double track tunnel..
The track from Platform 1 goes straight through the same double track tunnel as
the track from Platform 2.

I took a few digital photos, which I will get around to putting up one day...

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard