Re: Meeting with Speedrail

David Bromage wrote:

> Lachlan Smith (lsmith@senet.com.au) wrote:
> > :David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote:
> > :But a TR maglev would be wider and have a much higher coefficient of
> > :friction. It could also not run on existing lines.
> >
> > I thought the whole idea of magnetic levitation was to reduce friction.
>
> I'm talking about aerodynamic drag. The Transrapid has an aerodynamic
> coefficient of about 0.26, compared with 0.11 for a Shinkansen 300. I
> don't have figures for the ICE or TGV, but I'm still looking.
What TR? You do not know what number you cite.
ADtranz calculated the coefficient for a 400 P TR 08 about 0.08(+/-
10%).
Your number is a 2 section TR06.
AND the Cw coeeficient is not a good number to compare.

> I do have actual specific power requirements to overcome aerodynamic drag.
> It's 7.5kW/sq.m. for an ICE and 18.7kW/sq.m for TR06. The aerodynamic drag
> more than doubles between 300km/h and 450km/h with the maglev.

That sources, I would like to see. At what speeds?

> Just because there is no mechanical friction does not mean less energy is
> used. For levitation alone it needs as much as an ICE1 travelling at
> 120km/h. At 300km/h, the prototype ICE (2 locos and 12 cars, 330m long)
> uses 6.45kW (8800hp).
The IfB, Berlin calculated for a TR 08 from HH-B an energy consumption
of about 4.4 kW at 300 km/h or 6.7 kW at 500 km/h.

Get new numbers.

> Back in 1993, Speedrail Mk1 said they'd only need about 100MW (enough to
> power 20 trains at 300km/h) in total for the full set of services to
> Melbourne. The same amount of power would be used up by only 4 maglev
> trains.
Take the above numbers and see that you may travel at 500 for the same
energy consumption.

Bye

C.Legeland
--
Christian LEGELAND       Fakultaet fuer Physik     Theoretische Physik
Universitaet Bielefeld   Universitaetsstrasse 25   33615 Bielefeld