Re: Derails on Trans

"David & Jan Winter" <winterd@nospam-icenet.com.au>
wrote:

>Clearly something's being fixed. The rumours date back to the "old" (ANR)
>regime:
>
>In those days, it seemed Westrail derailments made news (often front page)
>but anything on the Trans simply passed us by. So, I was wondering if there
>were any stats for say 1985-97 or something.

Yes isolation had (has) a lot to do with it, fairly
expensive for the media to make it out onto the Trans
or the Central Australia line to cover a derailment.

Detailed records of derailments were certainly kept by
CR/ANR/AN but they were never available to the general
public, except where a passenger train was delayed and
even then, no details where released.

BTW, how many people know that the Commonwealth
Railways never had a public fare paying passenger
fatality as a result of an accident, collision or
negligence on the part of railway, except during
wartime such as the infamous Copley collision of two
narrow gauge trains.

Cheers

----Terry Burton