Re: Clyde Open Day

David Bromage wrote:

> Bob (gioia@fastlink.com.au) wrote:
> >This year marks the 100th anniversary for Clyde Engineering and also
> >thier 50th year of association with General Motors . To mark these two
> >milestones they will be holding an open day at Sydney Central Station
> >on  Saturday 25th July. There will be a display of locomotives and these
> >will include :
> >3801
> >GM 1
> >Westrail L class
> >Westrail Q class
> >National rail  AN class
> >Freightcorp 81 class
> >Freightcorp 90 class.
>
> I would have expected to see 4201 and 42220 on the list. And possibly even
> B74.

I agree with you entirely. The logic for the units selected is as follows:
3801   most famous Clyde steam loco
GM 1  first Clyde built diesel loco
Westrail L class  first 3000hp units built by Clyde
Westrail Q class first radial steer bogie units built by Clyde
National Rail AN class first 4000hp interstate unit built by Clyde
Freightcorp 81 class first high adhesion units built by Clyde (I gather this
means Super Series)
Freightcorp 90 class  ???????? I suppose they look good and aren't normally
seen in Sydney
                              or an example of a unit maintained by Clyde.
It would have been nice to see 5096  (first Clyde loco) brought down from
Thirlmere with 4201 or even the company's own GM 3 but I guess that there are
both space and budget limitations to this non government open day.
Bob