Re: R711 (and other WCR stuff)

On 19 May 1998 02:31:57 GMT, dbromage@metz.une.edu.au (David Bromage)
wrote:

>Geoff Lambert (G.Lambert@unsw.edu.au) wrote:
>>Question 1:  Is it harder to separate a loco from its tender when it
>>has a mechanical stoker, as the Rs have?
>
>Splitting a steam loco is a pain in the proverbial at the best of times.
>Even when a loco is cold and you have to split for servicing it's not
>easy.
>
>>Question 2: Doesn't an R fit on a 70' turntable?
>
>Yes, it does.
That's right it does, with the original tender.  I was referring to
the length of the _Locomotive_ part of the R compared to the S ; ie :
The S pacifics had a much larger tender than the R but still fit onto
a 70' turntable.  Therefore the R must be a longer engine as it's
tender is much smaller and it only just squeezes onto a 70' table.

Cheers
David A.