Re: R711 (and other WCR stuff)

David Bromage wrote:

> >>West Coast Railway.

> >And pray tell us O Enlightened Mr Bau, what is your opinion on restoration
> >of steam locos by government bodies e.g. Powerhouse Museum and 3830?
>
> IIRC, the restoration of 2705 was paid for by the taxpayer.
>
> >Yet mention your old nemesis Victorian Railway Company sneakily trading as
> >West Coast Rail so no-one will suspect and all of a sudden taxpayer
> >contributions are taboo.
>
> There was also government assistance to restore Birregurra station. It is
> a heritage listed building, though, and some of he work was done by local
> volunteers.

I could list numerous steam locos in NSW that have at least partly of fully
been funded by grants from various government departments. Apart from the most
recent 3830 there was 2705 and 1709 for the SRA 140th and then there was the
5367 grant not to mention the 1210 and the SMR18 and on it goes. In recent
times a government grant was given to a person to assist him to move his
private steam locomotives to his private site. If we were talking about grants
to restore old houses then there are also many cases where grants are given to
private individuals to restore private property. The point of the grant is
usually that it has a merit as a restoration project and the ownership is not
an issue. In the case of the R class I would imagine that the same would apply
whether it was owned by a preservation group or private individuals. In Britain
there are also  examples of Privately owned locos that get grant or lottery
money to assist with the restorations.
Bob