Re: R711 (and other WCR stuff)

>> And who, may I ask, is footing the bill for R711's restoration?
>
>West Coast Railway.
>>
>> Not the long suffering taxpayer I hope!

And pray tell us O Enlightened Mr Bau, what is your opinion on restoration
of steam locos by government bodies e.g. Powerhouse Museum and 3830? Or the
grants that railway preservation groups sometimes get to restore locos? Or
tramway preservation groups for that matter? Or even the indirect subsidies
from transit authorities e.g. PTC more or less donating trams and tramway
buses to the Tramway Museum and other equipment such as the truck they
purchased for a slab? Or the Loftus Museum getting grants for apprentices to
restore trams? None of which you have commented on in the past.

Yet mention your old nemesis Victorian Railway Company sneakily trading as
West Coast Rail so no-one will suspect and all of a sudden taxpayer
contributions are taboo. Yes, they are a commercial organisation but they
are still restoring part of our history and therefore I would see no problem
with them receiving some contribution under that guise. It would probably be
more useful than the restoration of the Maryborough station clock which
hardly anyone will see and isn't really taking history to where people can
use and enjoy it relatively easily for a small cost.