Re: Eight Car XPT sets on Brisbane XPT

>How does 'B' denote First Class?  And as I understand, 'F' denotes
>economy class?
>
>One (or few) things we did get right in Victoria are carriage
>classifications.  A for first, B for economy, C for guards/connies van,
>D for Van, then S for Steel or Spirit car, Z for Z type car, N for N
>type car, M for Railmotor trailer, R for refreshments etc etc.  Can
>someone please explain the NSW method to me, because it confuses hell
>out of me!

Using your criteria, B simply means B-type car, and F means F-type
car.  What is blazes is a Z type car or an N type car anyway?  I
thought the N-sets were built as interurban cars (originally), I guess
there are two 'N's in interurban, so it makes some sense.

Seriously, an interesting question.  How did B and F come to mean
first and (originally) second class in NSW?

Cheers...JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia               http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis
                Dutton Bay Tramway pages updated 1 January
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html