Re: Metcard Validation

Daniel Bowen wrote:

> [snip]

> There's one benefit to the user that I can think of. If you have a two
> hour
> ticket, you can travel on it beyond the expiry time as long as you
> enter the
> station (or tram or bus) *before* the expiry time... eg if you enter
> Flinders
> Street with a zone 1,2,3 two hour ticket 5 minutes before it expires,
> you can
> travel to Frankston on it.

According to "The Met Fares and Ticketing Manual" (issue date: 15.7.90,
page 59), it states in part:

"The passenger must be on the vehicle ... which has a scheduled
departure time before the expiry time of the ticket.  The passenger may
then complete the journey even after the expiry time, but a further
change of mode is not permitted, ie. a passenger may change trains to
complete the journey (eg. Frankston to Oakleigh via Caulfield), but
cannot board a tram or bus after the expiry time of the ticket. ...
However late running of services must be taken into account: eg. Ticket
is due to expire at 2.00pm, a service is due at 1.55pm, but does not
arrive until 2.05pm, the passenger must be permitted to travel by that
service.  Same conditions apply for cancellations, ie. passenger may
travel on the next service."

Perhaps someone can inform the group whether the above regulation has
been altered since 1990?

Cheers,

I.C.

Translib Pty. Ltd.                                 A.C.N. 077 950 513
712 Glenferrie Road                        Telephone: +61 3 9815 1233
Hawthorn  VIC  3122                        Facsimile: +61 3 9815 1299
Australia                              Email: enquiry@translib.com.au
                                 Internet: http://www.translib.com.au
Books and Media            Information Service             Stationery
Serving Your Library and Office Needs
Purchasing Victoria and MAPS Group CCT Approved Library Supplier