Re: Metcard Validation

Michael Walker (walker@hotkey.net.au) wrote:
: My understanding from recent threads on this newsgroup and PTC literature is
: as follows:
: 1. To be on PTC property, you need a valid ticket.
: 2. The PTC is entitled to check whether or not you have a valid ticket.
: 3. The way the PTC checks if you have a valid ticket is:
: Old system: driver or conductor views ticket prior to travel on tram/bus and
: on train it is theoretically checked on your way out to see if you were
: entitled to travel (although they could also check on the way in according
: to informed sources - an employee)
: New system: machine checks your ticket before travel on any mode to see if
: you are entitled to travel.

In the transport act 1983 it says that you need a ticket to
be on PTC land, and a member of the Police or PTC or authorized \
person may check you ticket at any time.  A machine can't be a
member (employied) by the PTC is not in the Police and doesn't
come under the definition of an authorized person in the ACT.

So the only of checking
tickets in both systems and
refusing the demand anng forces to buy another or being fined
is by a person listed above not a machine.

: Under the old system, if you were unprepared to show the staff member on the
: tram/bus/station that you had a valid ticket then they forced you to buy a
: new one. Mr. Martin, under the old system, did you ever refuse to show a
: conductor or bus driver or ticket checker/inspector your ticket because you
: knew you had one and you had shown the previous PTC employee? Or any of you
: other people who seem to think that because YOU know you have a valid ticket
: that nobody else needs to know, especially employees of the service you are
: currently using?

As said I was asked to show a valid ticket, I did and
when asked to validate it refused.  Breaking not part
of any act or regulation.

: Assuming none of you refused to show or 'validate' your ticket under the old
: system, why suddenly should this change occur because:
: a) a machine now checks your ticket.
: b) you now have your ticket checked at the entrance to the station instead
: of as you leave, a far more sensible idea as people who are genuinely
: evading their fare can be caught before using the service instead of using
: the service knowing their only problem will be at the other end and even
: then only really at city stations.

You can't give someone a fine for walking onto the station.
Yes you are on PTC propity but you haven't made a journey yet.
Making this stand up in court probability wouldn't work.

: c) it is easier to thumb your nose at the system proud in the knowledge that
: you can do what you like and if the PTC wants to know if you are doing the
: right thing then thats ITs problem.

I will simplay not run the risk of having my ticket taken
by a machine again, as a result of the time it take to
get a refund.  1200 refunds for lost tickets a week is crap
and I am not going to be one of them again. (unless a station
barrier takes it)

: At the end of the day, the only things you have achieved are that you have
: fed your own ego by putting down some poor station schmuck and some poor
: station schmuck has had his opinion of customers being arrogant idiots
: reinforced.

He put me down and in the same time I feel sorry for him,
Why should he be stuck with a shit job because the governement
could not get automatic ticketing right.

I only put down the system.

: By the way, I showed this reply to a friend who is a PTC employee and he
: added that the rule is you need to show it ON DEMAND. If you cannot show
: your ticket on demand, you get booked. I assume this includes machines.
: Also, the rules are to be changed (and may already have) so if you don't
: validate (i.e. show your machine the ticket by inserting it in the slot)
: then you may be booked.

As said earlier, I did show on demand and this apples to Police,
PTC members and authorized person.  A michine doesn't fit into
this list.

--
Chris Gordon
  email - cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au