Re: Eight car XPT sets on Bris XPT

Bob wrote in message <35571AD3.C12782CB@fastlink.com.au>...

>I understand that numerous APT trailers are presently stored at Eveleigh.
Rumour has it that if you reduce the consist by one car it helps to fill the
>train and you can claim that all services are running to full capacity.
Also it has been done to assist with the current shortage of power cars
where they
>are running a one and a half power car set with one good and one sick power
car. With one less trailer it helps the sick unit from a possible
hemorrhage.
>Bob

Glad you said rumour. The cars (Car F) have been removed from all 7 car sets
for the month of May, for some refurbishment and general maintenance. From
about the middle of the month Car E will be removed for similar reasons. Car
F will then be returned to the sets. The sets should return to normal
consist on 1 June.

The talk of sick power cars and a lack of power cars is wrong. XP2000 is off
the road at the moment being completely rewired. To my knowledge that is the
only power car out of action for an extended length of time.

There is strong talk of new engines for the power cars.  The word is they
will be 3000hp and they won't be GM's or GE's but newer Paxmans. Depending
on money new alternators and AC traction motors will also be provided.

Cheers
Rex