Re: Richmond Line Upgrade

David Johnson wrote:

> DJ NightShade wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I was just wondering if anyone can confirm/deny that the blacktown-richmond
> > line is going to be upgraded to 2 lines between blacktown-riverstone, and
> > the rest to richmond is just going to be upgraded. someone also said that
> > she saw something in a local paper about it, but can't rember.
>
> Last year I had to do a noise impact statement for RAC on the installation of a
> new crossing loop and extra platform at Clarendon.  Completion date was supposed
> to be late 1999.
>
> --
> David Johnson
> CityRail Guard
> trainman@ozemail.com.au
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/

This would make sense.  The Blacktown - Riverstone duplication has been
on the cards for some time (money was allocated in the 1996 state budget
I think).  The work between Seven Hills and Blacktown is well under way,
with the new crossover blocked in the middle by an overhead wireing
stauncion an interesting feature.  Perhaps the overhead renewal program
is a bit behind the track upgrading program??

I beleive the idea is to provide a 1/2 hourly service to Richmond, which
can currently be provided in short bursts, due to pressures on recovery
times.
Duplication to Riverstone and an additional crossing loop at Claradon
should allow a constant 1/2 hour service to Richmond, plus the upgrading
of currently very lacking peak services (There are only two trains
departing Richmond that arrive at the City between 8 and 9 am).

--

Michael Edge

email: medge@sia.net.au