Re: Eight car XPT sets on Bris XPT

Rex (bd107@tsn.cc) wrote:
>There is strong talk of new engines for the power cars.  The word is they
>will be 3000hp and they won't be GM's or GE's but newer Paxmans. Depending
>on money new alternators and AC traction motors will also be provided.

British Rail did this in the early 90s to two units. They were a test bed
for the latest Paxman engines. If successful, the entire fleet was to have
a half life refit and get new engines, but privatisation got in the way.
At the time the biggest Paxman of the same weight was about 2750hp. I'm
sure by now they have a 3000hp engine of the same size. I hope the new
alternator and traction motors would be three phase.

Cheers
David