Re: Transrapid Maglev

In article <6irbll$rop$3@gruvel.une.edu.au> David Bromage, dbromage@metz.une.edu.au writes:
>GSM phones use a doppler
>system for calculating the distance between the phone and the tower, and
>adjust the broadcast strength accordingly.

Erm... how do they do that? I mean, here I am, sitting at my desk, and
somehow my phone switches between 3 cells, and it's not moving... so unless
Vodafone move their antennae back and forth, there ain't no doppler effects
happening :)

ObMaglev: I want the Maglev *bad*... I'd love to be able to get to Sydney in
20 minutes. When I did the commute from Woonona to Wynyard in 1979, it took
about 110 minutes in a 1920s era carriage hauled by a diesel; coming home,
you counted yourself lucky if the Silver Slug didn't catch fire and drip
rusty water on your head. (And woe betide anybody that old Tommy caught
trying to get off when the train stopped at Hurstville!) These days, the
same trip takes about the same time, unless there's trackwork, in which
case it might take you all day. But at least the ride's more comfortable,
so there's been *some* progress in the last 19 years.

Copyright 1998 Phil Herring. This article may not be reproduced for profit.