Re: 3820

--
I think nearly all can be reconditioned. What normally need replacing are
stays and tubes, tubeplates also get replaced when too thin. The boiler
barrel is usually OK unless they have been stored with water in them which I
know happen to one loco at Thirlmere.
38s also have a problem with cracks in the firebox corners, I think due to
stress from when they were pressed.
Most cracks and pitting can be repaired by welding these days, the DIR
inspectors are more up to date than the old SRA inspectors who didn't seem
to like welded repairs.

Regards,
Chris Stratton
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au

Rob Kearey wrote in message <35513036.ECE78788@mailbox.uq.edu.au>...
>As an aside - once a boiler loses it's ticket, can it be reconditioned?
>Or do the unique stresses a locomotive boiler undergoes require it to be
>completely junked?

<snip>