Re: Beresfield Accident Findings

Jeff Schmidt wrote:

> [...]
Snip

> I’m very curious as to why FreightCorp have no problems when it to comes
> emergency braking. To help clarify why this isn’t a problem….
>
> 1. What type of locomotive brake valve is used?
> 2. What brake pipe pressure is normally used?
>
> 3. What type of control valve is used on FreightCorp rollingstock?
> 4. What is the propagation rate for this control valve both in service and
> emergency?
> 5. What features does this control valve have to increase
> propagation/application/recharge rates?
>
> 6. What is the brake cylinder build up rate for a service and emergency
> brake applications?
> 7. What type of load sensing device is used?
> 8. What type of brake assembly is used?
> 9. What type of draft gear and draft gear cushioning devices are used?
> 10. What is the length/weight/makeup of these trains that are immune to the
> adverse effects of emergency applications?
> 11. In what context, with regards to train handling management and
> procedures, is emergency used?
>
> Thanks in advance for your time.
>
> Jeff

There are hazards in making an emergency application but I can assure
you that it happens every day on every railway system . Most of the
time with no ill effects other than the odd skidded wheel .
I have had occasion to use the emergency position several times and
have never had any problems .
Freightcorp Locomotives use A7EL , B7EL , 26l and 30-A-CDW . Most of the
time the the Brake Pipe pressure is set at 500 Kpa . Some older vehicles
use Westinghouse Type 3 Improved Triple Valves , some newer vehicles
either Westinghouse or Davies and Metcalfe relayed brake equipment .
Most 100 tonne Coal Hoppers and the New NPRH Cement Hoppers use
Main Reservoir supplied relayed brake equipment . Draw gear is by
Automatic Coupler with varying specifications .

JM