Re: New railway stations for Melbourne

In article <6fb1oh$gp8$1@gruvel.une.edu.au>, dbromage@metz.une.edu.au (David Bromage) wrote:

>And a few extended tram lines:
>Route 48 from North Balwyn to Westfield Doncaster
>Route 86 tram from Blackburn Road to Knox City
>Route 109 from Mont Albert to Box Hill
>Then rebuild the old 1889 tram route connecting the 48 and the 109.
>
>Cheers
>David

I believe the extension of the 109 has already mentioned  as a possibility.

It would be a bit hard to extend the 86 route to Knox City. I think you meant
the 75 route. I have my doubts about the viability of such an extension. It is
already a very long route time-wise in peak hours due to traffic congestion in
Toorak Road. It would probably not be justified if it was used mostly for
local trips. Buses are a cheaper option. Mind you, I hate buses!

The route 48 should be extended to Doncaster and maybe has already been
suggested.

Likewise, the extension of route 3 to East Malvern station.

All these, with the exception of the 75, I believe have been mentioned by the
Government, but whether any come about is another matter.

John McCallum