re: New railway stations for Melbourne

David Bromage wrote

<snip>

>I lived in Mooroolbark for 12 years. It was known locally as "Electiondale".
>The land on which the station was to be built was sold off by the previous
>government. The last proposal before the land was sold gave two sensible
>names for the new station, Cave Hill and Billanook.

Why not compromise - Cavehook! or Billahilla!

>There was also a proposal for a station between Croydon and Mooroolbark
>at the Dorset Road bridge.

Has merit.

>What do poeple think? Any other ideas for new stations?

>Taylor's Lakes - between St Albans and Sydenham.

I thought about adding in non-electrified routes but then you could
cover the whole of the state. I suspect electrification would probably
be a greater priority for a Government rather than adding new stations
as exemplified by the Cranbourne line development.

>Lyndbrook - Platforms at the up end of Lyndbrook Loop, serving Lynbrook estate.

Refer above,.. hey come to think of it.. wasn't there a Lyndhurst
station once? In which case it would not be a NEW station. Same would go
for Somerton, South Morang etc come to think of it.

>There's provision for island platforms along the Werribee line.

Probably a bit early yet - it was not long ago that they ripped up
Paisley and Galvin.

>>2. South Alamein (due to a slight extension of the existing line)

>You mean rebuilding the old Outer Circle? There is probably some merit in
>rebuilding through to the Glen Waverly line.

Hmmm... I like the idea very much but having walked the line I am aware
of one very real problem. Once the line reaches the golf link by the
freeway there is a substantial drop in height ie the line ends up on the
side of a hill. It would probably take a tunnel, bridge or major
earthworks to extend the line to join up with the Glen Waverley line.

The next problem that presents itself is patronage. I cannot think that
many people on the Alamein line would want or need to go to Glen
Waverley.

There is however a very real alternative. the original outer circle
continued across and down to join up with the Dandenong line. If the
line was extended to join up with the Dandenong line then Alamein
passengers could continue onto Oakleigh and Dandenong.

Another alternative (and one I favor myself) is an underground tunnel
whereby the Alamein line would be extended to Chadstone Shopping Centre.
It could use part of the original right of way and then veer off. The
advantage here is a concept entirely foreign to public transport
planners here in Melbourne namely the idea of a train service that
actually goes where the public wents to go. {you know - places like
Waverley Park).

How practical. Grannies and yuppies from Camberwell etc could hop on the
train and go shopping at Chaddie!

Speaking of Waverley Park and returning to the original gist of this
thread, I recall that the Victorian Baseball stadium is not far from the
Werribee line. Perhaps a part-time station not far away would be to the
mutual benefit of the PTC and the Baseball authorities?

cheers Peter