Re: two faces of CHTR

Geoff Lambert <G.Lambert@unsw.edu.au> wrote in article
<6fcf1q$l3a$2@mirv.unsw.edu.au>...
> Bob <gioia@fastlink.com.au> wrote:
>
> >It is a shame that a public squabble has now started on this issue.
Surly grown
> >men can sort such a disagreement away from the public eye.
>
> Oh, but "surly grown men" can't do it any other way!
>
> Geoff Lambert

Oh but gentlemen, you have all missed the great irony here.  There is much
much more to rail preservation than the mere hardware - trains, tracks,
stations etc.  What we have here is real rail preservation at work -
preservation of the railway culture of, bickering, balkanisation,
disagreement and one-upmanship.  Preservation of the culture that gave us
breaks-of-gauge, god knows how many different signalling systems, radio
communiaction systems, rule books etc.

Just think, when we are all old and grey, how could we explain to our
grandchildren how we ended up with so many different gauges in this country
unless we have a really good working museum of the railway culture.

Keep it up fellas - good to see.