Re: Thanks for assistance

In article <6ek0tm$27$2@mirv.unsw.edu.au>, Geoff Lambert
<G.Lambert@unsw.edu.au> writes
>To me, the most surprising thing about the British Rail HST when I
>first encountered it in 1977 was that you could only get out by
>lowering the window on a leather strap and reaching outside and
>undoing the door from there.  Despite a 15-year interest in trains,
>this aspect of English railway life had totally escaped me.  When I
>went back home (which in those days was New York), people there flatly
>refused to believe me- they reckoned that I had missed the obvious
>power-door button and activated the "manual emergency system" instead.

No, Geoff, you're absolutely right.   BR HSTs (in fact almost all BR
InterCity stock) have doors which have to be opened by lowering the
window and operating the external handle.   I've *never* seen one with a
leather strap, though!

Years ago, the my father's employers had a visitor arriving from Canada
by train.   He actually missed his station because he didn't realise
that you had to lower the window in this way!
--
Ian Jelf        http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Heart of England Tourist Board Registered Guide
Birmingham, England