Re: Thanks for assistance

"Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>M.B. and C.M.McDonald wrote in message
><01bd4f27$4c9fc5a0$LocalHost@mcdonald>...

><snip>

>>QR has seen some major changes since my first visit in 1982 where I was
>>surprised to find "compartment" carriages with no door handles on the
>>inside of doors.

>Of course a Queenslander would ask why would you need handles inside when
>you can reach out through the open window!

>Barry Campbell

To me, the most surprising thing about the British Rail HST when I
first encountered it in 1977 was that you could only get out by
lowering the window on a leather strap and reaching outside and
undoing the door from there.  Despite a 15-year interest in trains,
this aspect of English railway life had totally escaped me.  When I
went back home (which in those days was New York), people there flatly
refused to believe me- they reckoned that I had missed the obvious
power-door button and activated the "manual emergency system" instead.

Geoff Lambert.