Re: National Rail Workings Gs & BLs

In article <6eva5a$m02$2@gruvel.une.edu.au> dbromage@metz.une.edu.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@metz.une.edu.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: Re: National Rail Workings Gs & BLs
>Date: 21 Mar 1998 02:54:34 GMT

>Patrick J  Buchanan (mainline@localnet.com.au) wrote:
>>Word from Mel is that V/Line Freight is rounding up as many of the G's as
>>possible. BTW G518 is reportedly to go in for O/H. I have heard that they
>>require them for through working to WA on their proposed new service. It has
>>also been rumoured that they may also extend their operation on the SCT
>>trains. Either EL's or WA's L class have been mentioned as having a roll in
>>this as well.

>The word from inside V/Line Freight is that it is important for marketing
>purposes for the Gs to work right through to Perth. With up to 4 trains
>per week, this will probably take up the bulk of the G class fleet. Up to
>fifteen 81s may be leased from FreightCorp to cover V/Line grain traffic.
>Can anyone confirm any of this?

Err, 4 trains per week Melb to Perth (assuming av load of 3000 tonnes) would
require at worst case 16 Gs,if they went all the way , ie 4 Gs per train.
This is however a gross waste as for 3000 Tonnes ,3 Gs are needed between Melb
to Adelaide and 2 Gs beyond,if the PTC were actually short of locos,you
wouldnt use any more than you really needed ,unlike NR .
With 3 Gs per train with one coming off at Adelaide,then you only need 12.
As I beleive the PTC own / lease / whatever 33 Gs in total ,less than half the
fleet would be needed,unless some sort of very wasteful operation is intended.
Are these trains going to be crewed by PTC crews all the way?
Also is this additional freight new freight , ie freight that has otherwise
gone by road, or is it freight simply taken from other operators.

cheers MD