Re: To :Great Southern Rail Management.

Maurie Daly wrote in message ...

<snip>

>Incidentaly , when I travelled thru Tailem Bend it was pretty obvious that
>nothing had run on the Loxton / Pinnaroo lines for a long time.
>So long in fact that the home arrival signals , which are color light
>searchlights had fabric covering over the lenses,not a good sign.
>Also noticed DL39 on as ASR wheat train with a heap of GMs & CLP.
>The AN signs on the DL had been painted out.
>Has ASR bought some of the DLs.
>
>cheers
>MD

This may not be that bad when you consider the cane railways in Qld which
are operated seasonally. The lights at level crossings on some mill systems
are fitted with neat metal covers and signs indicating that the signal is
out of use. This is despite the fact that maintenance trains occasionally
use them in the off season. This would be a sensible way to operate these
grain lines. Once the silo is empty close them up completely and do any
maintenance necessary. Of course, I may be just an optimist here and they
have closed them.

Barry Campbell