Re: Passenger offloaded

David Proctor wrote:

> Paul Dwerryhouse wrote in message <6e70tq$3v5$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>...
>
> >Maybe so. But I suspect it calls for a bit of common sense when you're
> dealing
> >with someone who is under 18 - you don't just go and dump minors in the
> middle
> >of the country.
>
> True - as he did not have a valid ticket for his journey, he was committing
> a criminal offence (Im a bit hazy here, as it occurred in Victoria - not
> familiar with their laws). Since a criminal offence had been committed, the
> police COULD have been called - I think he got off lightly.

What ever happened to the "on the spot fines" for fare evaders? Surely this
would be the best way to handle such a problem. As a matter of interest, State
Transit have in the past sacked drivers of buses that put off school kids and
left them in the middle of nowhere as STA could have been liable had the kid
been injured or mugged. I wonder how the various Rail Authorities would stand
up in court on this one?
Bob