Re: Rubbish to Cessnock.

Mike Shotton wrote:

> Goodwin Alco wrote in message <34F6490A.4A73@planet.net.au>...
> >
> >  Short of an intensive 620/720 local service I cannot see the point in
> >reinstating the second track to Cessnock. A couple intermediate crossing
> >loops along the way would surely be enough.
> >  Has all the track into Neath washery been lifted or just that near the
> >road?
> >
> >Brad Peadon
>
> The rail in Neath yard was the last bullhead rail on the SMR. It was lifted
> some years ago, and a diesel never ran on these rails. The last section of
> track lifted was a short section of normal rail about 80 - 100 metres long.
> The Richmond Vale Museum lifted this only a few years ago.
>
> I think they want to relay double track if the govt. ran the garbage trains
> on the line as well, but I'm not sure. You are right though, a few crossing
> loops is all that's needed. The best locations for these are probably at the
> existing signal box locations - East Greta Junc., Weston, Neath, Caledonia.
> The RVR has laid about 500 metres of track on the down main at Weston for
> limited use with our 0-4-0 'Marjorie' during Steamfest.
>
> We are currently trying to focus on the "Weston Endeavour" that is, to
> extend our current track and operations all the way to Weston. Earthworks
> are complete, including the construction of a complete new cutting to
> replace the old 'Zig-Zag' like way of getting to Weston. This is where a
> train leaves Pelaw Main, stops, changes roads, stops, changes roads again,
> moves forward and then onto the Link Line to
> Weston.
>
> Steve Shotton

Steve,
      The line I was thinking of was thinking of was that which crossed
the Cessnock road at Neath box and followed the road a little towards
the pub not actually the yard which I believed to have been on the down
side of the main line. I think there was a shot in an 80's issue of
Digest showing 47's or 48's sitting near the L/C on this branch.
  When the RVR reach Weston would they be interested in the whole line
to Pelton if by then it is closed?

Brad Peadon