Re: Rubbish to Cessnock.

Goodwin Alco wrote in message <34F6490A.4A73@planet.net.au>...

>  Short of an intensive 620/720 local service I cannot see the point in
>reinstating the second track to Cessnock. A couple intermediate crossing
>loops along the way would surely be enough.
>  Has all the track into Neath washery been lifted or just that near the
>road?
>
>Brad Peadon

The rail in Neath yard was the last bullhead rail on the SMR. It was lifted
some years ago, and a diesel never ran on these rails. The last section of
track lifted was a short section of normal rail about 80 - 100 metres long.
The Richmond Vale Museum lifted this only a few years ago.

I think they want to relay double track if the govt. ran the garbage trains
on the line as well, but I'm not sure. You are right though, a few crossing
loops is all that's needed. The best locations for these are probably at the
existing signal box locations - East Greta Junc., Weston, Neath, Caledonia.
The RVR has laid about 500 metres of track on the down main at Weston for
limited use with our 0-4-0 'Marjorie' during Steamfest.

We are currently trying to focus on the "Weston Endeavour" that is, to
extend our current track and operations all the way to Weston. Earthworks
are complete, including the construction of a complete new cutting to
replace the old 'Zig-Zag' like way of getting to Weston. This is where a
train leaves Pelaw Main, stops, changes roads, stops, changes roads again,
moves forward and then onto the Link Line to
Weston.

Steve Shotton