Experiences in Indonesia

Hi all

I have just returned from a holiday in Indonesia in which I was
fortunate to travel from East Java to Surabaya on the Mutiara Timor
and thence onto Yogyakarta on the Bima.

Indonesia's trains proved to be interesting. First thing to note was
that the railways are (I Think from sight) narrow guage. This was
quite surprising because the trains run really fast. I do not know
what speed they travel at but it must be at around 70-80 miles per
hour and  this is through built up areas on a single track line. The
poor houses are not far from the line as there is not much of an
easement. I doubt that a secodn line could be built without
demolishing houses.

Another interesting thing is that the platforms (if one can call them
that) are at ground level. No raised platforms like in Australia.

I travelled Eksekutif class which is the best class (air conditioned).
Despite this I think the Indonesians need to improve things a little
more. The train authorities have gone to great troubles to include air
conditioning and videos on board but the toilets and maintainence on
carriages often left a little to be desired by Australian standards.
By this I mean broken toilet seats, non flushable toilets and
generally poor cleaniliness.

I can't fault the speed of the trains. Banyuwangi to Surabaya took 7
hours and Surabaya to Yogyakarta took 4 1/2 hours. Thats pretty good
going. I was surprised at just how fast a narrow guage train can go.

I had a chance to chat with the station staff at Banywangi. Like rail
people everywhere they are really friendly. They pointed out the
executif waiting room to my wife and I and suggested we have a nap as
we had a 4 hour wait for the Mutiara Timor and it was early morning.

Onboard one gets served all forms of delicious Indonesian meals. You
pay for what you buy as you go. Interestingly you pay a small fee for
pillow and blanket rental (2000rp, around 30c) but it is worth it.

The views from the train are good also. One can see Indoensian houses,
volcanoes, coconut palms and the Indonesian countryside.

All in all I was impressed by the service and effort that is being put
in by the Indonesians. They would probably benefit from the
introduction of sleeper carriages on the overnight services. I wonder
if they have ever provided sleeper services.

Australia could learn a lot from what the Indoensians are trying to
do. They are trying to offer fast traisn with quality service. The
fact that the first class carrages were full bears testimony to the
fact that they are on the right track.

cheers Peter