ATMs and Trams

Greetings,

Whilst reading an article about a European model tram layout in the February
edition of Continental Modeller, I was intirgued to read the following
statement:

If the layout is set after 1970, then ticket machines should be installed at
all tram stops.

Makes you realise just how far behind the times we are.  1970 indeed!

Certainly in my European tram travels, admittedly limited to three or four
systems, I have seen ticket machines at many stops.  Surely the Melbourne
system (or is that service) could have at least provided ticket machines at
the busier tram stops.  Capable of accepting notes, and sometimes giving
change, they would have avoided the hassles of everybody trying to get to the
single machine in the centre of the tramcar.

My 2c worth.
John