Re: Number Of Platforms At CBD Stations

Ah yes, I didn't claim that the connection was convenient.  It has been
deliberately inconvenient.  STA won't stop half its trains there (Belair
trains stop; those from the Noarlunga Central line don't).  AN (and
presumably GSR) refused to acknowledge the existence of the station, and
never placed a timetable for public perusal.  Even the circuitous route was
not provided in the early days of the out-of-town AN station (which has had
a succession of names, and even now is not mentioned in timetables with the
same name which is posted on the platform).  The access path is
unsheltered.  It is conceivably no further than Sydney Terminal pfm 1 to
Sydney Central pfm 23, but feels to be further.  Brisbane Transit Centre
(the building above Roma St platforms) to the leading end of departing
Cairns trains is also a long hike.  The outer end of Spencer St pfm 1 to
pfm 13 & 14 is also long.  All the announced plans for the new megastadium
on the former freightyard site state that access will be by pedestrian
bridge end on to Bourke St; there is no mention of direct access from the
subway serving the metropolitan platforms.

Regards
Roderick Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

John McCallum <mccallum@melbpc.org.au> wrote in article
<6ddu86$1v8_002@melbpc.org.au>...
<rodsmith@werple.net.au> wrote:

> >Keswick Adelaide RPT isn't CBD, although it matches the spirit of the
> >original thread.  However, it should be counted as seven platforms: four
> >metro and three long-distance.
>
> I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a convenient connection
between
> the suburban and RPT platforms. Access would be via the road bridge at
one
> end.
>
> >Nobody has replied with Perth yet:
> >AFAIK the city station has four through platforms and two dock
platforms.
> >Perth terminal has two sg platforms: the long main one, plus a dock (now
> >shortened and no longer used for passenger services); also two suburban
> >platforms.
>

> Officially, Perth has 9 platforms: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9.
> However, 5,6 and 7,8 are actually one long island platform.
*******Are there intermediate crossovers to allow them to be used by
separate trains?

> >If Keswick is to be counted, South Brisbane must rate a mention:
formerly